Hey there! Can you believe it is Day 6 of Health Week? Crazy right?? Todays recipe is a classic – Macaroni & Cheese! This is an adaptation of the recipe from the cookbook “Fun Food”
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons organic Whole-wheat flour or spelt flour
1 1/2 cups almond milk (I use my homemade almond milk. Link: http://homeschoolapalooza.wordpress.com/2014/09/22/healthy-living-almond-milk-and-cookies/)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 big pinches ground nutmeg
2 big pinches ground pepper
2 cups shredded organic white Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 pound quinoa elbow macaroni
1. Melt the butter – put the butter in the medium saucepan over low heat and warm until melted.
2. Add the flour to the melted butter. Using a whisk stir the mixture until smith and bubbling, but not brown, around 1 minute.
3. Raise heat to medium, then add milk and cook for about 6-8 minutes
4. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the nutmeg, and the pepper. Then add in both cheeses and stir until melted
5. Cover the saucepan with a lid
6. Fill a large saucepan three-quarters filled with water. Place on high heat and bring to a boil. When water is boiling, add the remaining salt.
7. Pour macaroni into boiling water. Wait for a minute, then stir. Boil until tender, usually 7-8 minutes, or according to the instructions on the package.
8. Drain off water from macaroni, and add the pasta to the sauce. Mix until well coated.
9. Put into bowls and serve
Makes 4 servings.
Hope you enjoy! Be sure to comment pictures and to subscribe to my blog.
Till next time, Toodles!